As a new mom, one of the first things to fly out the door was my appearance. I’m lucky if I have time to wash my hair, let alone my clothes! And what’s the point of washing either when it’ll be about 2 seconds until I get baby mess (spit up, poop, or whatever slimy food they are snacking on) in my hair and on my shirt?!
I’m happy to report balancing life has gotten much easier as OBG has aged. Most days I am in clean clothes and have showered within the past 24 hours (granted, the shower was probably not alone). Okay, maybe I just appear to have showered and appear to be wearing clean clothes (haha). I’m certainly not pretending to win any fashion awards over here, but getting out of my PJs and feeling good about the way I look are huge wins in my book. Here’s how I pull off a super quick “together-ish” look:
1. Sponge Bun. THANK YOU to whoever invented these genius little sponges!! In 5 seconds my hair goes from dirty, un-combed, super thin (with half a head of 1.5 inch long baby hairs thanks to my hair falling out post birth and now growing back…more on that another day!) to a stylish but casual updo. Love love love these! A cute updo always makes me feel like strutting my stuff more than a messy ponytail ever could. I know there are a lot of other quick updo accessories out there, but this one is my favorite. And it has worked for my hair at both long and medium lengths. I use ones like these, and the large is my favorite (they come in yellow and black too to blend with your hair color.
2. Stitch Fix. If you haven’t heard of this, basically it’s a monthly subscription that mails clothes to your house based on your profile for a $20 styling fee. Stitch Fix has mixed reviews, but I have found that I get some really cute and unique options when I’m really thorough with giving them feedback on what I’m looking for it why o don’t like some of the pieces they sent. I love this program because I don’t have much time to shop, but I still want to add a few fresh pieces to my wardrobe! This way someone does it for you 🙂 Another tip here, the $20 styling fee applies to whatever you keep but only per shipment (it doesn’t roll over), so I aim to keep one piece and total end up spending $50 per month. They offer a 30% discount if you keep all 5 pieces, but I have yet to love everything enough to justify that expense. Visit stitchfix.com to learn more and sign up.
3. Tieks (comfy/cute flats). These designer flats are not cheap, but OMG so worth it. They’re handmade and last such a long time, adorable but comfortable enough to walk for ages in them. Perfect for running around with a little one! I get compliments on them all the time, and I’ve literally walked hundreds of miles on them all over the streets and hills of San Francisco. As far as flats go, they are pretty much all that I wear, so I justify the cost by not having to buy multiple pairs of flats that usually give out in 3-6 months. Also, they come with these great shoe bags to fold your Tieks and fit in your purse and a bag to hold your heels while you run around in your Tieks. I used to love this feature when I was in and out of meetings and an office, or walking to a theater show, etc. Check out tieks.com to learn more see the plethora of color choices.
4. Yes to Blueberries Face Wipes Age Refresh Towelettes. I never imagined saying this, but I no longer shower in the morning. If I waited to find time to shower in the morning, my day wouldn’t begin until 5 pm (ha!). And because I usually have 2 minutes to pull myself together, I LOVE these face wipes. After using them for a few weeks, my skin had a new glow to it. A quick wipe down and I have clean skin ready for moisturizer, quick powder, mascara and lip gloss. Order these face wipes here.
5. A Splash of Color! Wherever you can add a contrasting splash of color, be it your belt, purse, scarf, any accessory, it always makes such a great statement. I often use a bright purse and contrasting belt to finish off my quick look. Most days I throw jeans and a cute belt on with whatever shirt I have been lounging around in and it completely changes the look.
Speaking of moisturizing my face, mascara and gloss, here are a few favorite products that are worth a mention:
SPF Moisturizer. I’ve heard in the past not to use an SPF Moisturizer combo because your skin should absorb the moisturizer and the SPF should sit on top of your skin. But hey, if I don’t use a combo, that means I only have time to put on one or the other! And the SPF usually takes last priority :/ I absolutely love Murad’s Essential-C Day Moisture (actually I love the entire Essential line), it smells great and feels so light on my skin or leave my skin feeling or looking greasy (as SPF moisturizers often do).
Lip Stain. I love to put a really thin layer of lip stain on in the morning so that my lips have a hint of color all day. I just add gloss or chapstick a couple times during the day! One of my favorites is the MAC Pro Longwear Lipcolour.
Hypoallergenic Mascara. I’ve tried so many mascaras over the years because I have really sensitive eyes. Most mascaras leave my eyes feeling stingy and itchy, even top of the line brands that cost too much money. I’ve always loved and go back to L’Oreal Voluminous Original Mascara. It gives super full lashes and never leaves my eyes feeling stingy thanks to being Ophthalmologist and allergy-tested.
I’d love to hear from you! What are your favorite products and/or tips to quickly pull your look together?